Norfolk Southern’s (NS) Chicago Intermodal Terminal is also referred to as Landers Yard (LND). This terminal is one of four NS intermodal terminals in Chicago. The others are NS Calumet, 47th Street, and 63rd Street. This intermodal terminal is located on the Western Avenue Rail Corridor.
According to the 2012 Illinois State Rail Plan, Chicago-Landers is located at the end of the Metra Chicago District Line. This intermodal terminal is on the edge (3 miles) of the I-90/94 corridors and just outside of the I-57 corridor. Directions from the NS website indicate that trucks should exit I-90, or I-94 at 95th Street—an NHS road, and turn north on Western for approximately 5.5 miles. There is also a service gate on 79th Street.
- 79th Street
According to Norfolk Southern, the following services originate at Chicago-Landers:
- Atlanta, GA: Austell (AUS)
- Cincinnati, OH: Gest Street Yard (GES)
- Columbus, OH: Rickenbacker (RIC)
- Georgetown, KY: Georgetown (GEO)
- Jacksonville, FL: Simpson Yard (EDG)
- Louisville, KY: Appliance Park (APK)
- Norfolk, VA: Norfolk International Terminal (NIT)
- Miami, FL: Miami Terminal (MIA)
- Norfolk, VA: Portlock (NFK)
- Norfolk, VA: Portsmouth (PMT)
- Orlando, FL: Titusville Intermodal Terminal (TIC)
- Savannah, GA: Port Wentworth (Dillard)
Data reported by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning. Counts are listed by year.
- 2012: 419,582
- 2011: 363,595
- 2010: 286,548
- 2009: 265,469
Warehousing and Distribution
The following map shows the locations of traffic generators, automotive distribution, warehouses, and distribution centers in the vicinity of the NS Chicago (Landers) facility.